(1) Each employee, who has completed one year of service, after the commencement of the Payment of Gratuity (Central) Rules, 1972 shall make within thirty days of completion of one year of service, a nomination. Section 6(1) read with Rule 86(I1)
(2) If an employee has a family at the time of making a nomination, the nomination shall be made in favour of one or more members of his family and any nomination made by such employee in favour of a person who is not a member of his family shall be void. Section 6(3).
(3) If at the time of making a nomination, the employee has no family, the nomination can be made in favour of any person or persons, but if the employee subsequently acquires a family, such nomination shall forthwith become invalid and the employee shall make within 90 days fresh nomination in favour of one or more members of his family. Section 6(4) read with Rule 6(3).
(4) A nomination or a fresh nomination or a notice of modification of nomination shall be signed by the employee or, if illiterate, shall bear his thumb-impression in the presence of two witnesses, who shall also sign a declaration to that effect in the nomination, fresh nomination or notice of modification of nomination as the case may be. Rule 6(5).
(5) A nomination may, subject to the provisions of sub-sections (3) and (4) of Section 6, be modified by an employee any time after giving to his employer a written notice of his intention to do so. Section 6(5).
(6) A nomination or fresh nomination or notice of modification of nomination shall take effect from the date of receipt of the same by the employer. Rule 6(6).